Even it’s hard to believe, there are many interesting facts about ants that will probably leave you amazed. You may have heard about the incredible ways of organization of these insects and their ability to solve complex problems. That’s why they’ve been subject of numerous studies throughout history. In fact, we actually have a lot to learn from them.
- As we saw with cockroaches, ants are also as old as the dinosaurs. It is estimated that they carry on Earth between 110 and 130 million years and also have managed to be in almost all parts of the world.
- There are many. So that scientists claim to represent between 15 and 20% of the animal biomass on Earth.
- Not all of them live under the same conditions. In fact, the Queen ant can reach 30 years while normal ants only reach age 1 or 2. Queens can live more years than the rest thanks to the protection and peace of mind provided by their status.
- It is not true that ants are the strongest animals in the world, but what is certain is that some species are able to carry on his head up to fifty times its own weight. The record is held by some species of Atta, ants that live in the jungles of South America.
- An awesome organization. Their societies are characterized by the division of work, the communication between individuals and the cooperation inside the group. Thus, thanks to its social organization, they can solve challenges and tasks that each individual couldn’t do individually.
- They are good teachers: In addition to this incredible organization, scientists have seen cases of ants teaching others with less experience, sharing their knowledge about new foods or places, leading to slow the pace when they feel that the lesson is complicated.
- The common good is the good of everyone: This is the motto of ants’ life and the reason why its lifestyle is so valuable. Although each ant has an assigned role, they have no problems doing other tasks if necessary for the common good. Something that humans can take as an example.
Cooperation and social organization of these insects allows them to get what they want most times. Because they know how to do it. Christmas gatherings are here, full of delicious food, and ants are probably about to arrive. Better do something to protect your home before it happens.